Here's a little guide on how I dice an onion. I like onions to be small in some of the dishes I create to add flavour and nutrients but so that it's not to oiniony. I made a handy little video which is on the bottom of this page.
You will need...
A sharp knife
A chopping board
1. Slice off the ends of the onion.
2. Turn the onion to rest on a flat end and slice the onion in half.
3. Peel off the papery layers.
4. Lay the onion flat on the board and slice horizontally across, stopping before you cut all the way through, leaving one end together.
5. Rotate the onion and slice vertically down the onion, still leaving the end together. The closer the slices are the smaller the pieces.
6. Rotate the onion and vertically chop across the previous slices. The end will help hold the onion together.